Horror Movie Discussion

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Horror Movie Discussion

Post by A-Supreme on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:50 am

I noticed an item on Mercuzo's list - "Suspiria" was by far one of the creepiest 'pretty' movie ever. The blind guy's death at the jaws of his canine still makes my skin crawl. Yuck! The music was quite overwhelming, as well.

I also loved "You're Next" ... my best friend and I watched that at the suggestion of Garrett, and I have to admit that LOVED Erin as the final girl. She knew how to take down those assailants like a pro! And very creative, too! The wire death with the daughter also makes me cringe.

If I had to make a rough top 10 list, I'd say:

10. Jaws

Spoiler:
This movie is such a classic, and I always felt that it was scary just for having a real predator alone. I've said it before, this movie has by far one of the scariest, eeriest 'opening' kills with the girl screaming and splashing around in complete agony, and then when she's finally pulled under and it's suddenly quiet, it's just so eerie.

9. The Blair Witch Project

Spoiler:
Yeah yeah, it was the 'cool' thing to bash on this movie when it first came out. However, when I watched it, I seriously could not sleep the night after. It was my first 'found footage' film I've ever seen and just the panic that overcame the crew was enough to freak you out. The woods setting is perfect. The scene where their tent gets shaken and they find those stick figures creeps me out just thinking about it, as well as the final scene which is confusing as hell but makes perfect sense if you paid attention to the opening interviews.

8. I Spit On Your Grave

Spoiler:
I'm talking the original 1978 version. I found it disturbing, vulgar, gross, you name it... you don't even know if you want to call the main girl a vengeful protagonist or a complete monster. I loved the controversy that this film caused - I give this film a boost because one of the scenes seriously caused me to pass out due to all the blood. I want to watch the remake and its sequel, but I don't think I'll be able to handle them. =\

7. Grave Encounters

Spoiler:
I know the found footage trend was seriously tired by the time this came out, but I loved the Collingsworth Mental Hospital location and it's genuinely a disturbing film, far exceeding those 'Paranormal Activity' films. I also loved 'Ghost Adventures' (the show with Zac Bagans and his team) and loved how this movie spoofed his show. The creepiest part of this film was how you expected the morning to end the madness and misery of the crew, but when they realized they were stuck in the other dimension and that daylight was never coming, you knew that they were fucked. The sequel was passable but was pretty dumb in comparison to this.

6. Nightmare on Elm Street

Spoiler:
The original NMOES was creepy as fuck, and I really enjoyed Nancy and how she overcame Freddy. Tina's death was so good and I wished that more were as brutal and creepy as that one, but ah well. I also enjoyed the later installments, but none of them lived up to this one.

5. The Thing

Spoiler:
I really enjoyed the 1982 version. That monster was gross as fuck, and I loved how it divided the group and made them all suspicious of each other. The prequel was pretty good too, but not as good as this one.

4. Cold Prey 1+2

Spoiler:
I list both films because, like Halloweens 1-2, both movies happen literally back to back. It's a Norwegian movie that Mikey introduced me to and it's by far one of my favorite films I've ever seen. I loved the final girl, and the antagonist is a brute. The 2nd has a lot of creative deaths, as well... I loved how Jannicke tried to warn them that they were making a mistake resurrecting the mass murderer but none of them listened and they paid the price with their lives.. except Jannicke who once again rose above to be the last one standing (I'll conveniently ignore the other bitch standing with her there at the end Wink ).

3. Halloween 1+2

Spoiler:
The original 'Halloween' is such a classic, and it by far has the biggest sense of dread and you knew that nothing good was going to happen by the end. This film has one of my favorite horror characters of all time (Dr. Loomis), and I love the theme song.

2. Scream 2

Spoiler:
Loved this film, and it by far exceeded the original in my humble opinion. The original film was good but was used to develop the characters, so I'm not taking much away from it, but the second film is very consistent with the action, creepy suspense, and kills. I also enjoyed the two grand finales with Sidney and Mickey and then Mrs. Loomis later.

1. Alien

Spoiler:
I'm an 'Alien' nerd, and this film made me appreciate Sci-Fi horror. I loved that it had a 'slasher'-film tone, but unlike the typical slasher I've always known growing up in the 1990s/2000s, it was an alien doing the slashing and it wasn't a crew of dumb teens that were the victims but a crew of professionals that you would've expected to know better. Plus, the three sequels were amazing, as well.
A-Supreme

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercuzo on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:15 am

A-Supreme wrote:I noticed an item on Mercuzo's list - "Suspiria" was by far one of the creepiest 'pretty' movie ever. The blind guy's death at the jaws of his canine still makes my skin crawl. Yuck! The music was quite overwhelming, as well.

Agree 100%. It's such a visually stunning movie. That alone makes up for an otherwise iffy movie plot-wise. And I think the score is one of the best film scores ever so I'm glad you also agreed! I remember when I first tried watching it, the opening itself, from the music alone, creeped me the fuck out.

The colors in the cab are so pretty.

And Kim, I saw "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" because my mom recommended it to me since it was one of her favorites. I really enjoyed it! And my brother is still creeped out by this scene:

Mercuzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperVixenXo on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:22 am

that scene is ridiculous!!!!! I can't even bare to watch it.
SuperVixenXo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercuzo on Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:32 am

Yeah, it doesn't sound creepy on paper, but it's pretty fucking creepy. Props to Bette Davis!
Mercuzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperVixenXo on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 pm

Bette Davis was amazing in this movie. This is also one of my mom's favorite movies...Along with Rosemary's Baby, I spit on your grave, and Exorcist. She likes the classics.
SuperVixenXo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel_Of_Purgatory on Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:45 pm

SuperVixenXo wrote: Let the right one in!!!!!!!

Love that one.

Angel_Of_Purgatory

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2